HISTORY: THE ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEONS’ GROUP
The Orthopaedic Surgeons’ Group was founded within the SA Medical Association in 1942 in Johannesburg at a meeting convened by G.T. (Gumee) du Toit and attended by five local orthopaedic surgeons. The classic drawing below depicting that gathering was made by Irmin Henkel, orthopaedic surgeon.
From left to right are: F.P. Fouche, G.T. (Gumee) Du Toit, J.M. (Jock) Edelstein, Bernard Polonsky and C.T. (Carl) Moller. All the other orthopaedic surgeons in South Africa soon joined the new Group, bringing its total membership to nine. F.P.Fouche was elected its first president. Early activities of the Group included engaging with the general surgeons in “the battle of the fractures” and supporting the National Council for the Care of Cripples in national Health matters. Details of their activities are to be found in George Dommisse’s book To Benefit the Maimed.
THE FOUNDING OF THE SOUTH AFRICAN ORTHOPAEDIC ASSOCIATION
In 1951 Sir R Watson-Jones invited the OSG to attend the first meeting of the Orthopaedic Associations of the English-speaking World in London and to affiliate with the World Association. Following this the South African Orthopaedic Association was constituted in November 1952, with an initial membership of 45.1
- Heywood B, Van Niekerk J. Orthopaedic Surgery in South Africa.