This is the most prestigious Fellowship offered by the SAOA.
If selected you will travel with 4 Fellows from the United Kingdom and 1 from Australia and New Zealand respectively, visiting North America over a six week period. The tour usually takes place in May/June of the year in question on a biannual basis in the even years.
This is an honour and privilege to represent your Association and Country, interact with some of the leading authorities in orthopaedics, visit world-class basic science laboratories and orthopaedic institutions and be very well entertained.
GUIDELINES FOR THE ABC FELLOWSHIP TOUR
- You must be a member of the South African Orthopaedic Association and 45 or younger in the year that you travel.
- Application forms are obtainable from the Secretariat. Kindly forward your application by email to the Secretariat at email@example.com
- Applications should reach the Association offices no later than 30th June in the preceding year.
- Short listed applicants will be required to present themselves to a selection panel at the annual SAOA Congress in the preceding year and will be notified timeously.
- Fellows will visit approximately 15 to 20 of the major orthopaedic centres in the United States and Canada, as well as attend the AOA and COA annual meetings. The American leg is divided into geographical regions (East Coast, Central and West Coast), which rotate every 2 years. The tour is fully funded apart from some minor incidental expenses.
- You should have 4 to 5 papers, which you are able to present, one of which should preferably be of a non-scientific nature.
- You should also have knowledge of the health care challenges facing the country and be prepared to give short after dinner speeches.