The Orthopaedic Surgeons’ Group was founded within the SA Medical Association in 1942 in Johannesburg at a meeting convened by G.T. (Gumee) du Toit and attended by five local orthopaedic surgeons. The classic drawing below depicting that gathering was made by Irmin Henkel, orthopaedic surgeon.
From left to right are: F.P. Fouche, G.T. (Gumee) Du Toit, J.M. (Jock) Edelstein, A. David Polonsky and C.T. (Carl) Moller. All the other orthopaedic surgeons in South Africa soon joined the new Group, bringing its total membership to nine. F.P.Fouche was elected its first president. Early activities of the Group included engaging with the general surgeons in “the battle of the fractures” and supporting the National Council for the Care of Cripples in national Health matters. Details of their activities are to be found in George Dommisse’s book To Benefit the Maimed.